Monday, February 20, 2012

Creative Cramming


Procrastination is my greatest foe. No matter what, I always wait until the last minute to start any project. I believe I had a month to start this painting and I didn't even buy the canvas until the night before the deadline. My roommates and I had also just moved into our new apartment (conveniently located above our favorite local bar) so we were a bit distracted from our priorities. 

I have a bit of a ritual when it comes to cramming on creative projects. First I get the supplies together and place them in an area I don't care about messing up. Then I get some drinks that will help kick start my creative process. In this case it was two 40-oz bottles of Magnum. Finally, I grab my stereo an play the loudest, fastest music I own. I was in a classic 80s American hardcore mood, so the bands included Black Flag, MDC, Bad Brains, TSOL, and Minor Threat. The picture above was the result of two hours work. 

A lot of people like this piece, because of the energy it shows or whatever... It actually got chosen as one of my better works to be exhibited in my student show in March. I don't know why I posted this. I guess the reason is that I don't feel the amount of time you put into something makes it better. Some stuff just comes out good.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment